Monday, February 9, 2009

February 6-The sketchiest thing I've ever done.

I really didn't think I'd have enough fodder to write a journal entry today. I knew today consisted of a ten hour bus ride, so I didn't think I'd have much report.

Ali, Suze, and I woke up in Chiang Mai for the last time this morning. We were headed to Bangkok, but decided to stop for the night in Lopburi (a town famous for being over-run with monkeys).

After a lazy start we went to the bus station, only to find that the 1:30pm bus to Lopburi was full. After some consideration, we decided on a 2:00pm bus that would drop us off 27km away from Lopburi (and then we would take a taxi the rest of the way). The bus ride itself was fairly uneventful. Although we were boarded by immigration police FOUR times. Anyway, nine hours later, at 11pm, our bus hostess instructed us to exit the bus. Ali, Suze and I were the only ones who got off. It wasn't hard to see why. We were on the shoulder of the superhighway in a completely deserted area (I have to mention that the previous stops were all at legitimate bus stations, positively oozing with taxis).

We looked up the highway, and down the highway, and at each other, and at the ground. Finally we saw a lady standing down a small dirt road by herself in the darkness. She looked promising so we trudged towards her.

"Lopburi?" we asked timidly.

"Oh yes, yes" she replied and motioned us to follow her further down the small dirt road. Nervously trailing in her wake, we soon found ourselves at a small, shack-like house. They lady immediately knocked at the door, clearly awakening its young male inhabitant. After a rapid-fire Thai conversation, she motioned to a pick-up truck and asked "ok?"

What would YOU do??

Our choices were:

A: Ride in the flatbed of a pickup truck, driven by a young Thai male with NO English, hoping to get to our destination.

OR

B: Stay on the shoulder of the super highway.

We three shared a glance and then simultaneously heaved our luggage into the flatbed. Suze and Ali climbed in after our belongings. I was about to join them when the lady motioned me to sit in the cabin of the truck. So I didn't get the full weird-ass experience...but still!!

Anyway, we're now in Lopburi, safe and sound, with a very clear reason to always make sure we know where the bus will drop us off!

No comments: