Monday, February 9, 2009

February 1-Chiang Mai

I woke up at 7:00am. My wake up call wasn't supposed to be until 7:30, but the roosters were a little off. I didn't mind.

Today we ended up taking a tour with a man named Beer. Beer told us that a visit to Chiang Mai without seeing Doi Suthep (a temple) is like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel tower. Impressed?

Amanda and I had to snuggle in the front seat of his car (which is less a snuggle, and more a sweatbath at 35C).

He asked us if any of us 'have the carsick' because the road to Doi Suthep was very twisty. Instead of "very" he should have said "twistiest road in the HISTORY of roads". I should mention that Beer was once a DJ. As we're racing up the road,often on the wrong side, overtaking every scooter, truck and tourbus, wheels screeching in protest of the 180 degree turns we're executing at high speeds- we're listening to the sounds of Shakira, Enrique Iglesies, and even Rain (a Korean pop star). It was like being in a bad music video. I expected us to explode into a ball of fire at any moment. It was kind of fun. Especially at the high bits in 'Hero' because Beer's voice couldn't quite keep up:)

I'll have pictures of Doi Suthep on facebook. It's really beautiful. And I was blessed by a monk.

Later that night I had my first Thai massage. I would highly recommend it.

No comments: