Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's heeeerrrreeeee

Well almost anyway.

This weekend starts in 3 hours and 48 minutes!

Friday there is a mandatory meeting for all of us native crazies with the JLP (Jeollanamdo Language? program).

My snuggler(see previous post) and I are shacking up in a love motel in Gwangju tonight. If we were to leave for Gwangju tomorrow we would have to get up at balls o'clock in the morning.

Yesterday morning I had two free periods in a row, yet Winnie had two classes. I hid in the room with gym equipment, comfy chairs, and a space heater*. An older man who works in the administration office, violated my sanctuary (I'd previously been alone) and sat beside me. He is probably 60 but in EXTREMELY good shape, he wears tight black clothing and he always wonders around the school throwing roundhouse kicks.

He looks at me, seems at a total loss of what to say, blurts out 'I love you' and leaves. okay...

Afterwards we had the presentation class. I got a little nervous DURING the presentation. It is a little unnerving to teach with 15 other teachers watching you, filming you, taking videos of you...but on the flip side the kids were FANTASTIC:)

(their fantastic-ness probably had SOMETHING to do with the extra 15 adults in the room breathing down their necks, and the fact that Winnie snuck up to their room earlier and made them practice the tricky parts of the lesson).

Afterwards, as per usual, most of the teachers went and played volleyball. Winnie and I never go (using my penchant for fracturing bones as an excuse). Today they were serving clams around four and Winnie BEGGED me to go. BEGGED.

"You never show your face!"
"The other teachers REALLY want to talk to you" <----------lies
"You are a ghost!"

"ALLRIGHT I'LL GO". Jesus.

The teacher I smashed in the face still thinks I'm not playing volleyball because of that incident. And while that plays a large part....I also happen to SUCK at volleyball and they are super competitive!

She told me that when we 'hurt we need to GROW up!' which I THINK was her way of telling me to jump back on the horse so to speak.

Gah...my excuse for not playing volleyball is wearing out..

*It was hovering around zero degrees yesterday. And STILL I had to BEG my co-teacher to turn the heater on in our classroom. The heat is individual to the rooms in the school, none of the hallways are heated at all. We're all (teachers and students) wearing our coats, and snuggled up in blankets, but it's a BATTLE to have the heat on (The heater makes too much noise Jennifer...me-->It's a low HUM. Oh, so dry Jennifer me--> I'd rather be dry then FREEZING) AND when I FINALLY convince her to turn on the heater, the freaking kids open the windows. ARGH. They are REALLY paranoid about "fresh" air here. Gah.

No comments: