Saturday, October 4, 2008

Seoul

I got back from Seoul a night earlier than planned, but I couldn't keep up with my crazy friends! I wasn't in much of a party mood, and they sure were.

However, even though I cut my trip short so I could lay in bed and sleep (and read this WICKED book)[I'm lame] I had a great time in Seoul.

Where I live is about as far away from Seoul as you can get (it's a four hour bus ride, South Korea is 100x smaller than Canada, with twice the population).

I live in a very traditional area with hardly any foreigners. I get stared at ALL the time. I'm such a circus freak.

But in Seoul no one batted an eyelash! Because I wasn't the most abnormal girl to ever breathe!

There were black people and white people and all kinds of people and at least 50% of the people spoke English completely fluently and EVERY single korean person I talked to could understand me! (even the hookers; who knew hooker hill would be so full of them? Why did I go to hooker hill? Total accident. I'm not used to big city living haha).

Although, on the flip side, I'm getting way too comfortable in Suncheon saying exactly what I think all the time because no one can understand me. I would say stuff in Seoul and be like 'oh no, did I just offend someone? Think Jennifer!!'

But to conteract any negative benifits of being understood.....there were western restaurants!! I had alfredo pasta and nachos with REAL CHEESE and refried beans and guacomole and a frozen margarita and quesadillas and I didn't even feel SLIGHTLY guilty about ANY OF IT!!!

All in all I'm glad I'm living in Suncheon, but it was so nice to get in taxis and have them take me exactly where I wanted to go, and receive exactly what I wanted in restaurants.

Seoul was a great break from the Korea that I know. I know I will go back soon!

No comments: