Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I know it makes me a bad person...

But I can't help but laugh hysterically at my grade sixes right now.

They are in PAIN.

Today we usually teach the grade sixes, but we taught the grade fives instead (I didn't question this change, my schedule hasn't been exactly what it's supposed to be yet!).

However, we do have to teach the worst grade six class after lunch.

My co-teacher explained that they would be very tired today, and would probably not want to study.

I asked 'why?'.

She explained that they had just completed three hours of physical exercise.

I asked 'where?' (thinking they had been climbing a mountain, the normal reason why students would get that much exercise).

NOPE (do you notice a trend in these entries?)

They had in fact been running their little legs off to complete a physical education test in order to GRADUATE elementary school!! (Their school year starts in March, so they are relatively close to graduating).

I asked my co-teacher what happens if they fail. She said they do not fail. One female student said she was 'not used to physical exercise' and so she was 'exhausted'. (and I thought in my head, a have a student who knows the word 'exhausted?' weird). Anyway, they are all walking around hitting their thighs and looking very sad.

ALSO something finally made sense to me today.

I had one grade five class before that was talking to me about Micheal Jackson. So when I saw the girl who was doing most of the talking at lunchtime, I smiled and said 'Hi Micheal Jackson!'. She looked at me with the most stunned expression, and stared at me unmovingly until I became uncomfortable and walked away.

But TODAY, I had the grade five classes in a different order than usual. This girl was sitting in group 2 in the THIRD grade five class I taught...AND she was sitting in group 2 in the FOURTH grade five class I taught. Or rather her identical twin was.

Glad that's cleared up...

No comments: