Tuesday, September 23, 2008

New plan!

Well, I haven't updated in forever because I'm just TOO busy to make well-thought out posts. So my new plan is to write UN-well thought out posts.

Here goes...

Last night I had my first teacher dinner. I've heard many many stories about other native speakers' teacher's dinners. They're supposed to go on forever and end up with someone being ridiculously drunk (and perhaps at a noraebong aka a private karaoke room).

Mine was VERY tame. There was only eight of us, 3 males, 5 females. Just the grade six teachers, with no principals. Only one bottle of soju was consumed (for reference, I can drink an entire bottle and just be comfortably drunk, it's a fairly weak spirit). AND it only lasted for one hour and 20 minutes.

HOWEVER I was grilled like a cheese sandwich.

This was some of the grade six teachers' first interaction with me.

I was asked at various times throughout the dinner:

-Do I have a boyfriend?
-Do I have a boyfriend in Canada?
-Have I ever had a lover? (At the look on my face, Winnie modified this to boyfriend)
-Could I explain maple syrup? (This is RIDICULOUSLY difficult. I said it was like maple-flavoured honey)
-So maple syrup is not a drink?
-What are the traditional folk songs of Canada?
-Do you know 'The Beatles'
-Your eyes are very beautiful, glasses are not good on you. Why do you wear them?
-What do you think of Korean men?
-Do you like freckles? We think freckles are ugly. (When I pointed out the moles on my face and arms I was scrupiously ignored).

ALSO even though I've always heard it's totally inappropriate for co-workers to date here, I can't help but feel as though they are trying to set me up with the 25 year old male teacher.

Examples:
-OH!! You are BOTH single?
-Sit next to him SO YOU CAN TALK!!
-TALK TO HIM!!!
-You like noraebang? HE likes noraebang!
-Haha! You are BOTH single? (again)
-He asked you if you like alcohol? He ask you on a date!!!
-TALK TO HIM!!!
-You are both YOUNG! You can be friends!!!!

I've told Winnie in passing that I think it's totally inappropriate for co-teachers to date.

BUT I could totally be misreading this because he is also one of the four teachers here who can speak English at a reasonable level. So maybe they just legitimately want me to have a friend.

Well the first class of the day is here.

Annonghi Gyesayo (Stay in peace, as in you are staying, I am going)

No comments: