Sunday, March 22, 2009

March 13: And so ends week two of semester one.

I woke up today feeling like Saturday, which is an awesome feeling when you have to work!

On Friday I only teach two classes:

9:00-9:30 Grade 6
9:50-10:30 Grade 5

I love my grade six class, but I let them push me around too much last semester. Today I was playing a game with them, but they didn't like it.

"Different game teacher!"
"Hangman!"
"Twenty-five!"
"Typhoon"

Last semester I would have catered to them, but the new me said "no".

They groaned and whined.

I sat at the teacher's desk and stared at them. My usually boisterous class were stunned into an awkward can-hear-a-pin-drop-silence. I ALMOST broke. They're REALLY nice kids, and I've done what they've wanted before. I ALMOST said, "ok, let's play hangman".

But I didn't.

I waited.

"Teacher...game okay" one brave soul ventured, breaking the heavy silence.

"Yes, yes" murmer the other students in agreement, all looking at me with concern.

"Alright" I said brightly. We played my game (which was basically just a speaking exercise, which is why they didn't like it). They participated very well.

Several students made a point to tell me that the class was 'fun'. And the sweetest little child chased me into the hall, "teacher, game, no no no, sorry!" she apologized for her class earnestly.

I smiled at her and waved good-bye.

I didn't lose my temper.
I didn't let them push me around.

And I won teaching!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes! way to go Jennifer. I've been in situations like that with my classes in Sydney. A good long silent stare is much better than verbal negotiation some times, and much better then hitting them!! Paul

Jennifer said...

Thanks Paul!

Haha, verbal negotiation isn't really possible with the HUGE language barrier, and I would never hit a student:)