Monday, December 8, 2008

Whining again...

I've officially lost all motivation.

I NEED VACATION.

I've watched 'Merry Christmas Mr. Bean' nine times over the past two days. I am hoping the teachers at my Thurs/Fri school will be okay with watching a video.

Right now I am drinking (here goes the spelling neighbourhood) chrysanthanum (close?) tea. I am trying to fight off this annoying cold/sore throat I have. I can actually see the flowers in the tea bag.

They also sell chrys.. in grocery stores, in little see-through containers. Tree bark is also available. Probably also for tea purposes.

I don't have a day off until the 25th. Then I work an overnight camp for middle schoolers from the 29-2. Then I work a day camp for grade threes from the 5-7. Then from Jan 8-approx March 1st I have vacation. I am YEARNING towards the eighth with every ounce of my being.

I am exhausted. It's really not surprising that I'm a bit under-the-weather. I was pondering going to Seoul this weekend. But now I think vegging is necessary. I shouldn't complain about how much there is to do. Most of it's fun. But when you're CONSTANTLY doing SOMETHING blargh.

Also, shivering constantly is probably also detrimental to your health. The principal visited my classroom today. Apparently we were dying of air stagnation. He insisted all the windows be opened immediately. My students brought out their 'Hello Kitty' blankets and snuggled in. I feel bad for them. Few of them have any body fat at all. Their little lips are turning blue and they're bouncing up and down trying to stay warm, trying to hold pencils while they are wearing mittens. It's pretty brutal sometimes.

This past weekend Ali and I went to Wando to visit Suze. It was a really good trip. Wando is a remote island with a population of 9995 Koreans, and 5 foreigners. There were nine of us on the island this weekend (almost doubling the foreign population). It was kind of cool. We could look around and say 'every foreigner in Wando is currently in this bar, eating birthday cake, singing like a fool, etc, etc'. Adrian is a Mississippian living in the even remoter island of Nohwa. I don't know the Korean population of Nohwa but the foreign population is: one. Adrian comes to Wando every other weekend to socailize with other 'native speakers' (that's what the education office calls us).

I don't think I've ever met anyone from 'the deep south' (his words) before. I didn't realize how thick the accent was! I honestly don't know how his students understand him when I had trouble! (I asked him this actually. He replied, Aah haaav to taaaak laike aah aaaam deuumb). I can just see his cute Korean kids learning family names (brutha, motha, sista, fatha).


Anyway..

No comments: